Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Learning New Skills--Life as a pom pom fluffer

So, I was never the cheerleader. I mean, really. For those who know me, this probably comes as no great surprise, and I'm not talking about looks--I'm talking about that yee-ha gracefulness that just isn't part of my personal chemistry. I certainly possessed the enthusiasm for it, and there was probably no greater fan of spirit ribbons and pep rallies than yours truly. Secretly, too, I probably would have loved to be a cheerleader, but it just wasn't my draw from the high school deck.

But it's amazing how parenting brings things around full circle. Last night about midnight I sat in my kitchen working on Tyler's pom poms for her first game of the season tonight. She's a pee wee cheerleader. Anyway, this years pom poms were cheap and have to be "self-fluffed." And I'm sitting there, fluffing away while Jud plays guitar for me, and I suddenly say to him: "Wow, I was never the cheerleader, but I'm the MOM of the cheerleader." After that, we pretty much discussed how life has a way of ultimately allowing you to achieve dreams, no matter how silly they might be.

More than that, I think it's about learning new skills no matter how old you get. Recently Tyler and I made a movie (I think I told you this) using Microsoft Moviemaker. I can't tell you the pride I felt realizing that I had mastered this computer program, managed to blend both video and stills--and actually burn it to DVD!

My next skill that I've decided to acquire--and you'll laugh at this one--but I want to get into sewing. I used to love to sew with my stepmom, and I figure that it would be good for my daughters to learn about sewing. Or maybe knitting is a better idea b/c I'd have all the super cool sweaters to show for it. Dunno.

The BIGGEST thing I want to learn, though? I'm talking skills, not something warm/fuzzy like, "How to be a better friend" (though I'm working on that big time too) I want to learn how to be a super fit person. I got back in the gym yesterday after a big absence and every part of my upper body is sore today, but I think it's never too late to change the way you perceive yourself mentally. I can reprogram my brain and see myself as fit, sleek, athletic and addicted to running. :)

And on that note. Check THIS Guy out. He is SO fit, sleek, athletic, etc. It's enough to truly motivate you. It's a good time to post the cover, too, because PARALLEL HEAT goes on sale in just ONE MORE WEEK! Woo hoo! I'll acquire a new life skill then: Not biting my nails from excitement/nervousness. lol.

(OKAY, NOTE: I hate blogger right now. I can only post a pic every tenth time. So NO, I couldn't post my Parallel Heat cover. GRRR)
Hugs to all my wonderful blog pals!
Deidre

6 comments:

Kristen Painter said...

I was never a cheerleader either. I was too busy reading and being a geek. :o)

Knitting is great. In fact, I should start a new project because it's a fabulous way to keep your hands busy at night while watching TV instead of bringing snacks to your mouth.

And yeah! on the gym thing. I'm sore from doing extra push-ups, but it's a good sore.

Beth said...

I loved this post! It is true - parenting gives you chances to do some of the same things over - and some new things too! Good for you for doing the gym thing - I too am trying to persuade myself that slender is possible while trying to rethink my current habits which have made it improbable.

Gina Black said...

I was one of those non-conformist marching band members. I don't fit the profile of a cheerleader at all!

I've been into knitting a whole lot lately. The yarns available these days are *beautiful* -- many of them hand painted, and patterns proliferate on the web. It's a good thing to teach young kids because even if they don't stay with it, when they decide later they want to get back into it, all the muscle memory is there.

I knit while I'm at work. :)

(I need to get into shape too...sigh...)

Liane Gentry Skye said...

I just read the most marvelous story on Melanie Hauser's site--about learning to ice skate.
It expressed that same longing to something she felt she'd missed.

I think this theme of "what else" and "what's next" will eventually drive books with older protags to a trend with bite.

It sure resonates with me.

Er..I had the pompoms in little league, but I hung them up for a fire baton. Pyromania is way better. :) Burn baby burn!

Monica Burns said...

Next time you have a picture you want to show on your blog use...

html code to link back to the picture on your site.
[img src="www.deidreknight.com/parallelheatcover.jpg"]

the brackets really have to be the greater than/lesser than signs, but Blogger won't let me use those here.

As for the parenting gig...I used to have to sew ALL my clothes. I HATED it. I refuse to even hem or sew buttons on. I'll PAY someone to do that I hate it so much. This irks the DH to no end, because he had to learn how to sew his own stuff.

And I was never a cheerleader, didn't want to be. I tried out for majorette for 6 years running (I was put in high school band in 7th grade because I played well). It was a popularity contest and I never got into the "in crowd" My senior year I said screw it, I don't need to be a majorette. I happen to like who I am. Well, at least I told myself that. LOL

Anonymous said...

We didn't have cheerleaders. The way one got the popularity vote was through class captain, and being prefects (read prefects as in perfects). People like this always had perfect hair, perfect socks (no black smudge on the ankle from bootpolish), and perfect homework. They were good at sport and looked like Nicole Kidman.

But I came to the conclusion that I really didn't mind. While they were busy marching around the world being perfect - in the limelight. Penny got to sit curled up in a dark corner with her favorite things in the whole world.
Books!

I wonder if being perfect is all it's cracked up to be. How much drive to achieve is stored inside somebody who doesn't have to try hard and to strive. What happens when the going gets tough.
That's when the tough get going.