Monday, June 22, 2009

Favorite Romantic Scenes of All Time: Bull Durham

One of my fave author friends, Maria Geraci, is carrying the torch today in the next installment of our mini summer film fest. Take it away Maria!

Oh My!
Anyone who’s read my recent debut novel, BUNCO BABES TELL ALL, knows that my main character, Kitty, has a slight problem. Eighteen years ago, she fell in love with Crash Davis, the character played by Kevin Costner in the film Bull Durham, and unfortunately for Kitty, her movie crush has interfered with her finding a real live, flesh and blood man who can compete.

So, I have to admit, as Kitty’s creator, her crush is my crush. And it all began with the famous “I believe” speech. Maybe it’s not terribly romantic, but honestly, is there anything sexier than Kevin’s (er, I mean, Crash’s) speech?

6 comments:

Kwana said...

That's a fun movie and a great speech. I think my fave scene is Darcy's declaration of love to Elizabeth in BBC Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth. Love that.

Jia Gayles said...

Great scene! I haven't seen this movie in forever. I think it's time to revisit :). Besides, I always L-O-V-E Susan Sarandon in absolutely anything. I think by the time this film fest is over, I am going to have a whole lot of movies to watch/re-watch.

Maria Geraci said...

Oh, Kwana, that is such a great scene too. So many to chose from...

Deidre Knight said...

Oh, what a perfect, brilliant choice, dear friend. You know, i saw this movie in the theater in one of my most magical summers of my life (started dating Jud!) I can remember exactly where I saw it, who I saw it with...and how much I loved it the VERY first time.
One of my fave things in this movie is something in the "background", i.e. the production design. I actually worked with Peter Jamison, the man who did it for Bull DUrham on a movie a couple of years later. We were on Sudie and Simpson together, another southern movie with a similar design and feel..anyway, long before meeting him, one of my fave things about BD was that "mood". That southern, sleepy, almost old fashioned/another time quality you get. That's b/c of his great set design--the way her house looks, the furnishings, the mood. GREAT choice.

Maria Geraci said...

Yeah, I absolutely LOVE this scene. I only wish I had written it!

Marilyn Brant said...

Oh, Maria, that Bull Durham scene is a classic... I can't really narrow it down to one, but since Kwana already called P&P (LOVE it, of course!!), I'll say the final scene of The Cutting Edge. :)